Table of Contents
- What Are We Really Looking For? (and why a lot of “video editing” specific laptops suffer from playback lag)
- The 4 Top Rated Portable Video Editing Rigs
- ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU, Thunderbolt III, Windows 10 MS Signature image)
- Apple MacBook Pro MLH42LL
- ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey
- Acer Aspire R 15 Convertible Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, GeForce 940MX, 15.6″ Full HD Touch, 12GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, R5-571TG-7229
- Conclusion: Which Is The Best Option?
The laptops we are reviewing today are the ASUS Zenbook Pro, Apple Macbook Pro, ASUS K501UW-AB78 FHD, and the Acer Aspire R 15 Convertible Laptop. We have featured ASUS in a previous article about gaming laptops, and they seem to be able to provide a very excellent machine that is geared around providing us with various functionality, and Acer we know makes both high end and low end machines; but, now we will see if Acer can handle video editing as a specific niche market. Before entering into the specifics of all these machines I would like to let our audience know that good hardware comes at a price, and hardware is always changing so keep in mind that it is not usually wise to always buy the most expensive product, but it is good to buy within reason. I am referring to our previous review of the Acer Predator. This machine was priced at $8,999.99 dollars. It is an amazing laptop, but we can find other amazing laptops for a much better price. Readers you must always keep your mind on your money, and your money on your mind! Some of these high priced items don’t deserve the high price tag that they are offering consumers, and I promise as always, we will let you know what is best for YOU. Now, we shall carry on!
- Chrome OS, Samsung Exynos 5250 Dual Core Processor
- Display: 11. 6" LED HD 1366 x 768 16: 9, Ports: HDMI, Headphone/MIC combo, 1 x USB 3. 0 + 1 x USB 2. 0, 3- in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
- Memory: 2 GB DDR3L RAM, 16GB Solid State Drive
- Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802. 11 a/b/g/n, Webcam, 3W Stereo Speaker
- This Chromebook is not compatible with Current Updated Google Operating System
- 【Upgraded Configuration】 This computer has been upgraded to 16GB DDR4 RAM and 1024GB SSD Boot + 1TB HDD Hard Drive. RAM is upgraded to 16GB DDR4 memory for multitasking Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications. The Hard Drive has upgraded to 1024GB SSD Boot + 1TB HDD provides massive storage space for huge files, so that you can store important digital data and work your way through it with ease.
- 【10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor, up to 5.0 GHz】10th Gen Intel Core processor-powered systems take a huge leap forward in gaming, streaming and creativity, pushing a smooth, detailed, and vivid experience on highly portable devices. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it.
- 【16.1” FHD display】Make every level mesmerizing with a 144Hz, 16-inch, micro-edge, Full HD display. Along with enhanced Audio by B&O, you can see, do, hear, and play more without carrying more. Backlit keyboard: enjoy accurate typing, even in dim lighting.
- 【NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650Ti Graphics】Hit the sweet spot of ultimate GeForce gaming and impossibly sleek design with NVIDIA GTX graphics, designed to deliver the gaming performance you need in a thin, light form factor. Backed by 4GB GDDR6 dedicated video memory for a fast, advanced GPU to faster video and photo editing.
- 【Other Features】Full-size Island-style Backlit Keyboard ,Bluetooth 5.0, 3-cell lithium_ion battery, Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS
- 【Upgraded】Seal is opened for upgrade only, 1-Year warranty on Upgraded RAM/SSD from Snow Bell, and original 1-Year Manufacture warranty on remaining components. 【14" HD Display】1366 x 768 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity, Anti-Glare Energy-efficient Widescreen LED.
- 【3rd Gen AMD Ryzen 3-3250U Processor】 Ultra-low-voltage platform. Dual-core, four-way processing provides maximum high-efficiency power to go.
- 【16GB DDR4 RAM】Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games as well as multiple programs. 【2TB HDD】Holds a sizeable collection of digital photos, music, HD videos and High-quality movies.
- 【Standard Keyboard】Allows you to enjoy comfortable and accurate typing.【AMD Radeon Graphics】with shared video memory provide solid image quality for Internet use, movies, basic photo editing and casual gaming. HD Audio with stereo speakers & Built-in Webcam with microphone.
- 【Windows 10 Home in S mode included】3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion battery. 12.76" x 8.9" x 0.87", 3.3 lbs. 2x USB 3.0 Type A Ports, 1x USB 3.0 Type C Port, 1x HDMI, 1x Headphone/Microphone Combo, 1x Media Card Reader, 1x RJ-45. Wireless-AC + Bluetooth, Jet Black, Bonus 32GB SnowBell USB Card.
Pricing last updated on 2021-04-04 - Disclaimer
What Are We Really Looking For? (and why a lot of “video editing” specific laptops suffer from playback lag)
In the specifics regarding processors, we are looking for something called a Pass One score. Dual cores will always be outmatched by quad core processors. Newbies, read this information carefully and do not ever buy dual core processors if you are planning on doing much video editing, because your performance WILL suffer. This is imperative that you understand this or you will regret it later, and by later I mean after you purchased a dual core processor from Joe schmo. The other main piece of hardware we look for when we are talking video editing is hard drive storage and hard drive speed. If you don’t have a high speed hard drive even the most basic operations will take some time to complete on your video editing laptop and that means we will be wasting valuable time. So, for this article we will be focusing on three aspects, processors, hard drive storage and speed, and price.
The 4 Top Rated Portable Video Editing Rigs
ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU, Thunderbolt III, Windows 10 MS Signature image)
Starting off we are giving the ASUS company another good start by once again showing off their product first. The Zenbook Pro will give you a great 512 gigabyte Solid State Drive, which is very good for video editing mind you, that can transfer files at a speed of fourteen hundred megabytes per second and it comes with sixteen gigabytes of DDR4 Ram! This machine also comes loaded with a powerful Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 gigahertz quadcore CPU which can overclock to 3.5 gigahertz. That is some great processing power for a laptop! The video card that comes with this bad boy is the Nvidia GTX960M and you can expect to have a 15.6” display. As always, these new laptops come with Windows 10, the sixty four bit version, but you will be spending between $1,000 – $1,500 on Amazon if you purchase this item. In reality, this is a great buy for a solid price and I highly recommend the purchase.
However, if you decide you want Amazon to give you Windows 10 Professional with your purchase, unfortunately that will run you another cool hundred bucks on top of your purchase.
Apple MacBook Pro MLH42LL
Alright guys, there is some bad news that comes with this machine; however, if you can find one I highly suggest you pick it up. The MacBook Pro MLH42LL was discontinued. However, if you do your diligence and search hard, I believe you can find one of these awesome models with little to no effort. This baby comes with a 2.7 gigahertz quad core intel i7 processor, and you can boost these speeds up to 3.7 gigahertz. That is crazy fast, and you will have four different processors cranking out this speed! But, this machine doesn’t come with any slick custom video cards from Nvidia or similar companies, only Intel HD Graphics 530. That is basically an onboards graphics card. The price on this machine is about two thousand easy, so let me recant my statement, if this is the only thing you can find, then we can do better! It is nice for video editing on Mac operating systems, but it is way too expensive for the hardware that is available inside the machine itself. The Macbook Pro MLH42LL will also give you about 512 gigabytes worth of storage space and that is a good thing, but it still doesn’t help justify a two thousand dollar price tag, so I am going to make this one short and sweet, and then move on!
Good day MacBook Pro!
ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey
Alright guys, were getting down to the nitty gritty. Yep, this is our third product review out of four and we are going to kick ass and take names. The second video editing laptop ASUS is offering also has another 15.6 inch display that will come reinforced with 512 gigabyte SSD storage. That is what were looking for! However, does this machine have the processing power? Well folks, here is the downer. This machine has a processor that only has two cores. Yep, dual core processor, and not quad core. That’s exactly what we aren’t looking for. But this model does comes with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 M graphics card which will help run those applications a little faster. However, with only eight gigabytes of DDR4 and only a dual core processor I don’t think things will get that much faster, but being priced at just over $800 bucks is fairly reasonable for the hardware, so I would recommend for you to buy this if you are on a tight budget… or looking for a good entry level video editing laptop for beginners. Great buy for the money, but if you can swing it I’d get 16gb or 32gb of ram instead.
Acer Aspire R 15 Convertible Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, GeForce 940MX, 15.6″ Full HD Touch, 12GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, R5-571TG-7229
The Acer Aspire is another decent laptop for video editing if you are a tight budget as well, but I must warn you it doesn’t even have a dual core processor. So we are talking very slow. If that is okay with you and you only have about $800 to spend then you could try it. It probably will be hit or miss depending on what video editing software you use, and let me tell you why. The specs on this laptop include an Intel Core i7-7500U processor that can go up to speeds of 3.5 gigahertz, an Nvidia Geforce 940MX with two gigabytes of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM, and it also comes with twelve gigabytes of DDR4 memory. If you are wondering if it comes with a solid state drive, it does, but only 256 gigs worth. You won’t be saving many files so you have been for warned. But, honestly, I can see this being a decent machine if you don’t try to multi task too much while you are doing video editing. Not a bad deal considering the solid state drive and the twelve gigs of RAM should help keep things running at a decent pace, even for a single core processor. It’s seven generation processor from Intel might do extremely well seeing how it is one of the newest processors out there. So, yeah I’m going to say you could give this one a chance, but only if you don’t have the cash to go with something better!
Conclusion: Which Is The Best Option?
Finally everyone, I am going to recommend the ASUS Zenbook pro for those that are wanting to do some high end video editing, and who have the cash to spend on the machine itself. You definitely get more for your money than you would with that discontinued Macbook. They are both good machines, it is just ASUS is offering a little more. If you can’t afford the ASUS Zenbook Pro I would suggest trying the ASUS K501UW-AB78 FHD, because of the dual core processors it offers, compared to Acer’s one processor, and it has a solid state drive that is about twice as big as Acers. Definitely an easy choice between these two. There ya have it! Once again we have taken care of the pros and cons, and the dos and the dont’s! Have a wonderful time making those awesome videos!