Table of Contents
- What Are We Really Looking For? (and why a lot of “video editing” specific laptops suffer from playback lag)
- The 4 Top Rated Portable Video Editing Rigs
- ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU, Thunderbolt III, Windows 10 MS Signature image)
- Apple MacBook Pro MLH42LL
- ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey
- Acer Aspire R 15 Convertible Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, GeForce 940MX, 15.6″ Full HD Touch, 12GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, R5-571TG-7229
- Conclusion: Which Is The Best Option?
The laptops we are reviewing today are the ASUS Zenbook Pro, Apple Macbook Pro, ASUS K501UW-AB78 FHD, and the Acer Aspire R 15 Convertible Laptop. We have featured ASUS in a previous article about gaming laptops, and they seem to be able to provide a very excellent machine that is geared around providing us with various functionality, and Acer we know makes both high end and low end machines; but, now we will see if Acer can handle video editing as a specific niche market. Before entering into the specifics of all these machines I would like to let our audience know that good hardware comes at a price, and hardware is always changing so keep in mind that it is not usually wise to always buy the most expensive product, but it is good to buy within reason. I am referring to our previous review of the Acer Predator. This machine was priced at $8,999.99 dollars. It is an amazing laptop, but we can find other amazing laptops for a much better price. Readers you must always keep your mind on your money, and your money on your mind! Some of these high priced items don’t deserve the high price tag that they are offering consumers, and I promise as always, we will let you know what is best for YOU. Now, we shall carry on!
- Utilize Corel Painter Essentials 6 to shape inspiring concepts and amazing art at the speed of your imagination or paint using award-winning Natural-Media brushes & practical photo-painting tools
- Corel Painter Essential 6 is part of the Intel Software Suite which features other programs for design, productivity, and games. All this comes with each purchase of the VivoBook Pro N580GD-DB74 or N580VD-DS76T
- Beautiful 15.6" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) WideView Touch Panel with ASUS Splendid enhancement
- Powerful 7th Generation Intel Core i7-770HQ Processor (Turbo up to 3.8 GHz). Weight is 5 pounds
- NVIDIA GTX 1050 4GB discrete graphics with ASUS Hyper Cool, dual-copper and dual-fan cooling system
- 8th Generation Intel Core I5-8250U Processor, Quad-core - Upgraded performance with smooth responsiveness and fast load times for an exceptional PC experience. Stream premium content or even create your own. Intel HD Graphics 620 - On-processor graphics with shared video memory provide everyday image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and casual gaming.
- 16GB Intel Optane - Get near SSD performance without sacrificing the storage of your traditional hard drive. This smart system accelerator learns from your everyday computing and helps your performance-making everything fast, smooth, and responsive. 8GB DDR4 for advanced multitasking - Substantial high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once. 2TB hard drive for ample file storage space
- 17.3" HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit Display - 1600 x 900 resolution for high-quality images and fine detail. Energy-efficient LED backlight. HP TrueVision HD Camera - Video chat with vibrant clarity, even in low light. Re-writable DVD Drive - Watch and write DVDs using the integrated optical drive. Multi-Format Digital card reader - Supports SD, MultiMediaCard, SDHC and SDXC memory card formats. Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad - Provides illumination for easy readab
- Next-generation wireless connectivity - Connects to your network or hotspots on all current Wi-Fi standards. Connect to a Wireless-AC router for speed nearly 3x faster than Wireless-N. The Gigabit Ethernet LAN port also plugs into wired networks. HDMI output expands your viewing options - Connect to an HDTV or high-def monitor to set up two screens side by side or just see more of the big picture. Multi-Format Digital card reader - Supports SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card formats.
- Windows 10 operating system - Brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. 3-cell 41 WHr lithium-ion prismatic battery - Typical Battery Life: Up to 9 hours and 15 minutes (mixed usage), Up to 8 hours and 45 minutes (video playback), Up to 5 hours (wireless streaming). 16.33" W x 10.72" D x 0.96" H, 5.52 lbs. Color: Natural Silver. 2 Year Warranty Care Pack + Protection
- Featuring the latest mobile technologies with 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8GHz (Turbo up to 4.0GHz) Processor and NVIDIA GeForce MX150 graphics
- 15.6" Full HD Wide View display with up to 178° viewing angle optimized for entertainment
- Slim 14.2" wide, 0.7" thin and portable footprint with 0.3" bezel for a stunning 80% screen-to-body ratio
- 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD combo; Ergonomic backlit keyboard
- Comprehensive connections: USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.0, USB 2.0, & HDMI.Fast-charge technology also charges the battery to 60 percent in just 49 minutes
Pricing last updated on 2019-06-20 - Disclaimer
What Are We Really Looking For? (and why a lot of “video editing” specific laptops suffer from playback lag)
In the specifics regarding processors, we are looking for something called a Pass One score. Dual cores will always be outmatched by quad core processors. Newbies, read this information carefully and do not ever buy dual core processors if you are planning on doing much video editing, because your performance WILL suffer. This is imperative that you understand this or you will regret it later, and by later I mean after you purchased a dual core processor from Joe schmo. The other main piece of hardware we look for when we are talking video editing is hard drive storage and hard drive speed. If you don’t have a high speed hard drive even the most basic operations will take some time to complete on your video editing laptop and that means we will be wasting valuable time. So, for this article we will be focusing on three aspects, processors, hard drive storage and speed, and price.
The 4 Top Rated Portable Video Editing Rigs
ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU, Thunderbolt III, Windows 10 MS Signature image)
Starting off we are giving the ASUS company another good start by once again showing off their product first. The Zenbook Pro will give you a great 512 gigabyte Solid State Drive, which is very good for video editing mind you, that can transfer files at a speed of fourteen hundred megabytes per second and it comes with sixteen gigabytes of DDR4 Ram! This machine also comes loaded with a powerful Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 gigahertz quadcore CPU which can overclock to 3.5 gigahertz. That is some great processing power for a laptop! The video card that comes with this bad boy is the Nvidia GTX960M and you can expect to have a 15.6” display. As always, these new laptops come with Windows 10, the sixty four bit version, but you will be spending between $1,000 – $1,500 on Amazon if you purchase this item. In reality, this is a great buy for a solid price and I highly recommend the purchase.
However, if you decide you want Amazon to give you Windows 10 Professional with your purchase, unfortunately that will run you another cool hundred bucks on top of your purchase.
Apple MacBook Pro MLH42LL
Alright guys, there is some bad news that comes with this machine; however, if you can find one I highly suggest you pick it up. The MacBook Pro MLH42LL was discontinued. However, if you do your diligence and search hard, I believe you can find one of these awesome models with little to no effort. This baby comes with a 2.7 gigahertz quad core intel i7 processor, and you can boost these speeds up to 3.7 gigahertz. That is crazy fast, and you will have four different processors cranking out this speed! But, this machine doesn’t come with any slick custom video cards from Nvidia or similar companies, only Intel HD Graphics 530. That is basically an onboards graphics card. The price on this machine is about two thousand easy, so let me recant my statement, if this is the only thing you can find, then we can do better! It is nice for video editing on Mac operating systems, but it is way too expensive for the hardware that is available inside the machine itself. The Macbook Pro MLH42LL will also give you about 512 gigabytes worth of storage space and that is a good thing, but it still doesn’t help justify a two thousand dollar price tag, so I am going to make this one short and sweet, and then move on!
Good day MacBook Pro!
ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey
Alright guys, were getting down to the nitty gritty. Yep, this is our third product review out of four and we are going to kick ass and take names. The second video editing laptop ASUS is offering also has another 15.6 inch display that will come reinforced with 512 gigabyte SSD storage. That is what were looking for! However, does this machine have the processing power? Well folks, here is the downer. This machine has a processor that only has two cores. Yep, dual core processor, and not quad core. That’s exactly what we aren’t looking for. But this model does comes with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 M graphics card which will help run those applications a little faster. However, with only eight gigabytes of DDR4 and only a dual core processor I don’t think things will get that much faster, but being priced at just over $800 bucks is fairly reasonable for the hardware, so I would recommend for you to buy this if you are on a tight budget… or looking for a good entry level video editing laptop for beginners. Great buy for the money, but if you can swing it I’d get 16gb or 32gb of ram instead.
Acer Aspire R 15 Convertible Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, GeForce 940MX, 15.6″ Full HD Touch, 12GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, R5-571TG-7229
The Acer Aspire is another decent laptop for video editing if you are a tight budget as well, but I must warn you it doesn’t even have a dual core processor. So we are talking very slow. If that is okay with you and you only have about $800 to spend then you could try it. It probably will be hit or miss depending on what video editing software you use, and let me tell you why. The specs on this laptop include an Intel Core i7-7500U processor that can go up to speeds of 3.5 gigahertz, an Nvidia Geforce 940MX with two gigabytes of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM, and it also comes with twelve gigabytes of DDR4 memory. If you are wondering if it comes with a solid state drive, it does, but only 256 gigs worth. You won’t be saving many files so you have been for warned. But, honestly, I can see this being a decent machine if you don’t try to multi task too much while you are doing video editing. Not a bad deal considering the solid state drive and the twelve gigs of RAM should help keep things running at a decent pace, even for a single core processor. It’s seven generation processor from Intel might do extremely well seeing how it is one of the newest processors out there. So, yeah I’m going to say you could give this one a chance, but only if you don’t have the cash to go with something better!
Conclusion: Which Is The Best Option?
Finally everyone, I am going to recommend the ASUS Zenbook pro for those that are wanting to do some high end video editing, and who have the cash to spend on the machine itself. You definitely get more for your money than you would with that discontinued Macbook. They are both good machines, it is just ASUS is offering a little more. If you can’t afford the ASUS Zenbook Pro I would suggest trying the ASUS K501UW-AB78 FHD, because of the dual core processors it offers, compared to Acer’s one processor, and it has a solid state drive that is about twice as big as Acers. Definitely an easy choice between these two. There ya have it! Once again we have taken care of the pros and cons, and the dos and the dont’s! Have a wonderful time making those awesome videos!