Table of Contents
Gas chainsaws have engines which generally are between 33cc for a basic model to 80cc or more for an advanced pro model. Power output ranges between 1.6HP for a 33cc engine and about 6.5HP for an 80cc engine (cc: cubic centimeter, HP: Horsepower). The cutting bars generally range between 12 and 24 or more inches in length. One of the most beneficial uses of gas-powered chainsaws is that they perform the best when used outdoors. They can be taken deep into the forest or woods for cutting down the heaviest of logs or even be used around the home for shortening or trimming the trees. Many houses with fireplaces surely have a gasoline saw as an instrument for cutting firewood. As long as a gas chainsaw is well maintained i.e. given the gas and oil mixture for lubrication, it will continue to cut well.
How do you choose the right gasoline chainsaw, that too within a budget? Here are our top 5 picks.
DeWalt has been a known and reliable brand which has been delivering cutting-edge technology for over a century. At 9.4 lbs only, this mean machine is relatively easy to use — the size is apt. The handles are smooth and comfortable. The 16” Oregon bar gives you a decent length to cut through most tree trunks, wood or logs with just a single stroke. The chain present is self-lubricating, so maintenance is actually not really needed. Filling the chain oil reservoir is also not a big task because there’s an auto-oiling system in place that facilitates continuous lubrication. How? Well, there’s a very properly marked filler cap for oil on the side of the body, that opens with a quarter turn and locks tightly back into position when you’re done filling it with oil — it’s getting ready to cut wood in a few seconds! Its FlexVolt technology is very impressive as well. It’s the latest battery technology which DeWalt has launched. The 60V FelxVolt battery gives the best standby time when compared to all their other batteries.
- Low kickback 16-inch Oregon chain and bar
- Tool-free chain tensioning
- Bar tightening knob for the right bar clamping force
- Auto-oiling system for uninterrupted oil flow providing lubrication
- Quarter-turn oil cap for fast oil refills
- Chain brake for protection from kickbacks
- Lightweight at 9.4 pounds
- Ergonomically designed to increase comfort and handling
- Finest quality product with a long lifespan
- Created keeping safety of the user in mind
- Can support a bar of longer length
- Has an auto-oiling system
- Excellent warranty and service agreement from DeWalt
- The battery takes a while to charge
- Gas refilling charges will be recurring
You can check its price and buy it here.
In the league of light-duty chainsaws, there’s one more which can’t go unnoticed. There’s too much time spent on gardening, is it? The main reason why this happens is because a layman doesn’t know how to handle a powerful chainsaw. Husqvarna 435 to the rescue! This light-duty tool is loved by a lot of homeowners for the ease it provides in tasks such as trimming tree branches or cutting firewood and helps you do it faster than if you’d use any standard tool like an axe. The brand is the top manufacturer of chainsaws in the world. The engine is so well designed that being light duty, the chainsaw is enough for any job you want to do in your garden. There’s a very little chance of the engine flooding. It’s unbelievably lightweight at around 10 pounds and is environment friendly as well.
- Powerful 2.2HP 40.9cc engine with 9000 rpm.
- A combined choke/stop control mechanism due to which engine doesn’t flood.
- Special X Torque technology prevents the machine from releasing exhaust emissions and controls fuel consumption.
- The centrifugal air cleaning system eliminates large particles and debris before they hit the air filter, which in turn boosts the longevity of the machine.
- Low-vibration technology reduces the fatigue arising out of heavy vibrations.
- Inertia initiated chain brake helps prevent accidents.
- Lightweight and very easy to handle and operate.
- Since it’s low on vibration, it’s very easy on your ears.
- Very fine quality, light duty chainsaw.
- Makes the perfect cuts and trims.
- It has a very powerful motor that has a long lifespan.
- Starting the motor can be a struggle
You can check out the master machine, here.
Poulan as a brand has come a long way. Today, we all know Poulan machines as being affordable, reliable and really useful. The Poulan Pro PR4218 gas chainsaws are built for the home or an amateur user, because they are relatively easier to handle, less complicated to use, offer top-notch safety and are a lot simpler to handle than large, mass-heavy, actual professional tools. This 18-inch chainsaw is a medium duty one and is the ideal machine for home owners who want to cut tiny to mid-sized trees, remove its branches and cut firewood, of course. The really amazing soft grip handles indicate the tool doesn’t vibrate much and a weight of 13.25 pounds gives the Poulan Pro PR4218 commendable power relative to its weight and size. The chainsaw starts up very easily and has an automatic lubrication system which keeps the chain oiled at all times. Its 42cc engine is powered by OxyPower technology, which has exceptional power.
- 18-inch bar and chain
- 42cc, 2 stroke OxyPower engine which reduces fuel consumption and lowers emission levels
- 13.25 lbs weight
- The super clean air filter system increases the life of the filter
- Spring assist pull cord
- Automatic oiler
- Advanced anti-vibration system
- Effortless pull starting with cord
- Built-in scrench
- Low vibration
- Good value for money
- Powerful engine
- Easy to start the engine
- Not suitable for heavy cutting
- No shock absorbing feature, hence when cutting anything huge and heavy, there’s too much vibration felt
- Motor running volume is high
You can check for more features and buy it here.
The Echo brand name is well respected across the heavy machinery market for the quality of their chainsaws and other outdoor power machines they manufacture. The Echo CS-400 comes from these market stalwarts which is a great combination of a brilliantly efficient engine and enhanced power. This is a worthy choice due to its affordability from all the chainsaws out there due to its correct combination of a powerful engine and exceptional features. The Echo CS-400 operates on a 40.2cc engine with a bar length of 18 inches. This particular length is very helpful in achieving a great amount of stability when used for cutting, although for home uses even a 14-inch bar would work great. It also comes with the finest quality of switch gears and is lighter in weight. Designed more for home than outdoor use, this chainsaw model has a low-kick nose and a narrow blade. Most other chainsaws use spring coils for dampening the vibration created out of usage, but Echo CS-400 uses rubber bushing. While this is similar to the characteristics of a coil, it however, lacks the potential to reduce resistance created over time by the frequent vibrations of the engine. This chainsaw model also lacks an important feature we expect to find on chainsaws generally, i.e. a tool-free chain tensioner. This inhibits the possibility of adjusting the chain tension whenever needed.
- Echo parts produced from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs)
- 40.2cc capacity with Power Boost Vortex engine
- i-30 technological innovation for easy machine start
- Electronic ignition advanced system
- G-force engine air pre-cleaner
- Easy and quick startup
- Runs very smoothly
- Durable and long lasting
- Choice of handles between top-handle and rear-handle depending on usage
- Best quality machine
- High maximized performance
- Two-stroke engine
- Lightweight and weighs only 10.1 pounds
- Not for industrial use hence engine seizing may come up as an issue
- Service of the Echo company is not up to the mark
You can check its features and buy it here.
The Tanaka TCS33EDTP is an innovative and user-friendly chainsaw that’s also lightweight and compact. It has a 12-inch bar (14” bar is available as well) with a short top handle. The chainsaw is easy to hold and quite comfortable to use. The entire chainsaw weighs a little more than 12 pounds, which makes the chainsaw easier to handle, maneuver and makes it less tiring. If you’re the type of person who likes to do things in style, then this chainsaw just fits the bill due to its sleek and compact appearance. The hand grip is layered and covered with a thick layer of serrated rubber which aids in minimizing the vibration. This feature is much needed and you can rest assured that this chainsaw is one of the less fatigue causing ones in the market. Tanaka TCS33EDTP has a 32.2cc pure fire two-stroke engine. The advantage is that this engine naturally produces less emissions and also has a high rating for fuel efficiency. Overall, it’s a very utility-driven chainsaw that stands out in this price range.
- 12-inch top handle
- 32.2cc pure fire engine to provide powerful performance with fewer emissions
- Extra large gas tank
- CARB Tier II compliant
- Chain tensioner
- Inertia activated chain brake
- Automatic oiler which is gear driven
- Sprocket nose bar along with Oregon chain provides additional control for easy cuts
- Half throttle choke for easier starting up
- Motor comes with chrome plated cylinder
- Long lasting if maintained in a good condition
- Low-kickback model
- Very compact and stylish
- Easy to hold and use
- Anti-vibration system ensures less fatigue
- Not recommended for dense pieces of wood
- Overheats sometimes
- Lack of an oil screw
You can check out the chainsaw and buy it here.
Having scanned through so much information about the best gas chainsaws under $300, you should by now know which model is your favorite and is going to suit your needs the best. Let’s say finding the perfect chainsaw is like finding a wad of notes in the middle of the street – it’s not impossible, but it’s quite unlikely. You need to keep in mind that you can’t buy a machine that is underpowered for your sawing needs, and at the same time, you can’t go with a machine that is overpowered and difficult for you to use.
Our verdict will be to go with the Husqvarna 435. It is a popular Swedish brand, and they have an excellent reputation among its customers. The thing we appreciate the most is the versatility and functionality of this chainsaw. Owing to its high power output, you can use it as a hardcore professional tool for cutting large and dense pieces of wood. On the other hand, the same chainsaw can also be used as an occasional machine for cleaning up your backyard after a big storm! In other words, there are a plethora of applications for this chainsaw and that’s what makes it desirable. While a lot of manufacturers choose to look away at some irrelevant design or functionality aspects, people from Husqvarna are very attention-to-detail oriented and strictly go by the book. If you want to have a portable chainsaw that delivers almost 9,000 RPM when fully loaded and consumes only a fraction of fuel in comparison to other models in the market, the Husqvarna 435 might be the thing you need. The fuel efficiency is top notch, the weight is decent and light and most importantly – it is absolutely safe as long as all safety regulations are followed.