Table of Contents
Videos recorded through such software can be useful in a number of different situations. You may be facing a technical difficulty on your laptop that you need to deal with but don’t have the technical knowhow. You can simply record the glitch and take it to a professional who may be able to help you out. The higher quality videos recorded in this manner can also be used for marketing or training purposes. There is a recent trend where a lot of video games are recorded using similar software so that it can be streamed at a later time. While the last can infringe on copyrights in some cases (so be extra careful), most of these are harmless and help in some way or the other.
Now that you know how screen recording software can help you in multiple situations, let’s learn a little more about the best options in the market when you’re looking for a free or paid screen recording software program.
The first screen recording software on this list is Camtasia, also one of the more popular ones. It is relatively easy to use. You can start off by recording anything on your screen. It can be the entire screen or just a part of it. After this, you can use the software’s many features to make edits to the video that you recorded, adding effects like highlights, titles, animation, transitions and so much more. The best part about this software is that it is available for both Mac and Windows users.
Camtasia is not a free software but the incredible amount of features that it offers makes it worth the money you will be spending – especially if you are a regular user. It gives you the tools to create high-quality screen recorded videos with all the features that make your content more engaging for the audience.
While Camtasia comes with a free trial and a 30-day money back guarantee, you will have to pay for the full version of the software. After the free trial, you can gauge whether you really want to buy the latest version of the software, which is available for $249. If you are already using an older version of Camtasia, you can upgrade to the latest version by paying $99.50. While it may seem too expensive for a person who doesn’t make videos too often, people who are regular users can buy this with their eyes closed.
- This is a premier software that comes with a ton of video editing features that will make your job much simpler.
- Camtasia can take on any recording task with relative ease.
- There are regular updates to the software so if you are ready to keep investing a little more each time, you can stay abreast with all the latest developments in the field.
- The price may seem unreasonable for people who do not use this software too often.
- There are a lot of options, which may get a little confusing for a lot of users.
The next software to be discussed is from the same creators as Camtasia – TechSmith. While Camtasia is a more comprehensive tool that concentrated on videos, Snagit is designed for capturing screenshots or videos and editing those video clips or shots. While the Camtasia’s editing features are vast, there is a strict limitation on how much video editing can be done with Snagit. It can be used by both Windows and Mac users.
It has a very simple interface and the videos and screenshots that you take on it can be shared almost instantly. These features make the product really useful for people who are new to this business, or those who just need some basic work to be done. Professionals who use video editing software on a regular basis may find the features limiting and should consider investing in a more sophisticated software.
Snagit is not a free tool but it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, just like Camtasia. There is a 15-day trial period, which you can use before you decide whether you want to buy the full version of the software. The good part about buying Snagit – especially if you do not need all the features that Camtasia provides is the price, when compared with the other softwares on this list. A single-user license of Snagit that can be used on Windows and Mac is available for a relatively cheap price of $49.95. If you have an older version of the software, you can upgrade to the latest version by paying $24.95.
- The price is quite affordable, especially when you compare it with the amount of money you will have to spend for the Camtasia software.
- It works really well for screenshots and recording simple videos.
- You will be able to carry out some basic video editing by using the Snagit software and save it in multiple formats, depending upon your requirement.
- Snagit may not be the best option for you if your job involves more complicated video editing that requires additional features.
- There isn’t much customization that you can carry out with the interface of the screen capturing and recording software.
After talking about two paid versions, this is the first free software on this list of the best screen recording software programs. OBS Studio is one of the most popular screen recorders, especially amongst gamers. As it is an open source software, there is no limitation on how long you can record the video for, one of the biggest advantages of using this software. It is also completely free to use, which makes it immensely popular.
OBS Studio is a powerful real time audio and video recording software that also allows you to mix the audio and video that you have captured. By using this program, you can create full scenes with the help of multiple sources including the images and videos that you have captured from the screen, and other text, windows, webcam footage and so on. While the program can take a little time to set up and use, it is great for people who already have experience in this field.
OBS Studio is an open source software and you do not have to pay anything to use it – it is free! The software’s compatibility with Windows, Mac and Linux further increases its popularity, especially amongst gamers who use it to record their games and even stream them live on other platforms like Twitch and YouTube.
- The biggest advantage is that this software is completely free to use. You will not have to spend any money in buying it.
- The OBS Studio software is capable of handling different types of video and audio files very well.
- The software allows for high definition recording as well as streaming – including live streaming to other popular platforms like YouTube.
- There are no restrictions on how long the videos that you record can be.
- It can take some time for the software to setup properly.
- While people who already have experience in this arena will find it easy to use, it can get confusing if you are a first-time user.
The Movavi Screen Capture Studio is the next paid screen recording software on the list. While it may require you to spend some money to gain full access to this software after an initial free trial period, the pricing is quite reasonable for the features that you can avail after downloading Movavi’s Screen Capture Studio. The software is compatible with both Mac and Windows and you can also use it on your smartphones.
Movavi Screen Capture Studio is an extremely versatile screen recording software that allows you to choose the area that you want recorded, followed by the size of the video. You can also record the audio that you want with the video. It doesn’t have to be the system audio, it can also be recorded by you through an external microphone. In addition to this, you can add effects to this video and save it in multiple formats, depending upon your requirement. However, it cannot be exported online directly.
This screen recording software also comes with a 30-day money back guarantee. While you can avail a free trial of the Movavi Screen Capture Studio software program, you will have to pay a nominal price for the full version ($59.95-$79.95) of the screen recording software. The price, however, is much lower than the one quoted by the more expensive programs like Camtasia, making Movavi a budget pick!
- While this is a paid software, you will not be expected to pay so much money that you start questioning the purchase.
- The software supports quite a few video file formats, giving you greater flexibility as you work.
- There tool allows you to create high quality videos with the help of a simple interface that can be used by anyone, even without past experience.
- There are a large number of video editing options that you will gain access to after gaining access to this software program.
- There is no option that allows the person using the software to directly export the edited or unedited videos to online platforms, which is a feature provided by a lot of other programs.
The last software program on the list is FlashBack Express, the second free software. It doesn’t come with a large number of advanced features – those are reserved for the paid version of the software – but it does the job of screen recording well. You can use this software for free and capture all the footage that you need without having to deal with those unsightly watermarks that appear with some free software programs. In addition to this, there is no time limit on how much video you can record, which can be a major disadvantage of free screen recording software. This program allows you to record audio from a microphone, a webcam or the desktop itself.
This is the free version of a paid software by Blueberry Software called FlashBack Pro. While you will have to pay for the pro version after an initial free trial period, you can just download FlashBack Express and use its screen recording services for free if your work is more basic.
- The software program is equipped with an easy to use interface where you an access the editing tools, schedule recordings, and also carry out multiple monitor recording.
- The video editor allows you to use a lot of editing tools that are otherwise a part of the paid version.
- You can choose between multiple output formats, to pick the one that suits your needs.
- Despite being the free version of a paid software program, FlashBack Express gives you a great amount of flexibility and doesn’t put any off watermarks on your work.
- There is a limitation on the file format support when it comes to the free version of FlashBack.
- Some of the more advanced features of the full version are missing in this.
All of the software programs mentioned above – some paid and some free – allow for high quality screen recording. Not only can you capture screenshots and videos in this manner, you can also add audio to these files and download them in multiple formats. Some even allow you to upload these directly to online platforms like YouTube. The final choice must be made on the basis of the type of work you are looking to do, and financial constraints!