Table of Contents
- Boss Industrial GD16T21 16 Ton Gasoline Dual Action Log Splitter
- Champion Power Equipment 91520 Log Splitter, 15 Ton
- Sportsman Series LST12
- Dirty Hand Tools 100408
- Yardmax YS3065 30 Ton
- Powerking 34 Ton Kinetic Log Splitter
- 50 Ton Log Splitter Commercial Grade Hydraulic Wood
- Swisher LSED 14534-CA34 Ton Timber Brute Commercial Pro 14.5 hp
- Powerful 2 HP electric motor
- 7 tons of splitting force
- Convenient one-Handed operation
- Automatic ram return
- 2-year residential warranty.Hydraulic Pressure (psi):3500
- Powerful - 25 tons of splitting capacity with a large 224 cc Champion single-cylinder OHV engine
- Versatile - Converts from horizontal to vertical in seconds, allowing you to handle large, heavy logs with ease
- Efficient - 12-second cycle time, expanded operator area and dependable auto-return valve capable of 300 cycles per hour
- Portable - Towable up to 45 mph and fits most ATV/UTV towing applications with an extended tongue, 2-inch ball hitch coupler and 16-inch tires
- Reliable - Champion Support includes 2-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
- Motor: 4HP, 2900 Watts - no running out of gas and starts every time
- New patented hydraulic system increases torque by 45%
- Quiet, no fumes and no air compressor needed
- An be used on the ground or on the bench, outside and inside as there is no fumes!
- Very easy to use. No experience necessary
- 25 Ton full beam gas Log Splitter with 6.5Hp 208cc Briggs & Stratton Engine
- Horizontal and vertical splitting
- Patent pending 4-way wedge and pair of large Log cradles are included
- Patent pending u-beam structural design is significantly stronger than typical i-beam design
- Patent pending Log Spinner foot Plate easily rotates logs for splitting, reducing stress on the beam
- 5 inch diameter x 24 inch stroke cylinder.
- 9.5 HP 277cc Kohler CH395 EPA/CARB approved engine with 11.5 second cycle time, down and back.
- Two stage 17.5 gallons/minute pump, 8 gallons max. system, 6.5 gallons operational hydraulic capacity.
- Beam has 9" foot plate & removable stripper plates, 9" high heat treated steel wedge.
- DOT approved 16" OD high speed road tires and 2" ball with safety chains.
Pricing last updated on 2019-04-19 - Disclaimer
Log splitting is something that dates back to the earliest of times. Log splitting used to be done with a stone and a wedge and then in later years it was done with a hammer and a wedge. Soon after the hammer and wedge came the maul and the ax which made log splitting easier on everyone. Log splitting is something that used to be done by everybody or at least by most people because the logs is what kept the fire going and houses were heated by the fireplace. Eventually, log splitters evolved into a manual log splitter and now there are gas and electric.
Log splitters can be used by both personal use and commercial use. It truly does not matter which one you are using it for, gas log splitters has its perks for both uses. Here I will explain the differences between a manual, electric, and gas log splitter before I get into the top 10 gas log splitters because before you buy something you should know the reasons why you are buying and what other options are out there.
Manual Log Splitter
A manual log splitter still uses that wedge to split the wood but you also are using a lot of muscle power. It is not what you would want to use for those larger logs. If you did choose to use it for the larger logs you are going to have a long day’s work. However, a manual log splitter is perfect for those smaller logs you might use for your fire place. So, if you are looking for something simple the manual log splitter is the way to go.
Electric Log Splitter
An electric log splitter still uses that wedge system to split the wood but an electric motor takes over the muscle power that you would be using in the manual log splitter. It is perfect if you want something that can cut those larger logs and it does not give off fumes so you are still able to use it in doors if you would need to or if you just want to get out of the cold.
Gas Log Splitter
Now we come to the gas powered log splitters we will be talking about throughout this article the gas log splitter. The true difference between an electric log splitter and a gas log splitter is that a gas log splitter can split even larger logs than the electric log splitter. However, you do have to be careful of the fumes so it is highly recommended to only use the gas log splitter outdoors.
There are 3 different types of gas log splitters out there for buyer’s consumer grade, prosumer grade, and professional grade. Each of these has them have their own perks. Below you will find the differences between the three.
The consumer grade gas log splitter is stronger than most of your electric log splitters. It can split logs that are up to 21 inches in length. It has approximately 8-16 tons of force. However, they are incapable of pivoting vertical therefore, when you need to split a log you must physically lift it onto the log splitter yourself. This is perfect for the occasional log splitting like for personal use.
Boss Industrial GD16T21 16 Ton Gasoline Dual Action Log Splitter
- Price- For a nice, every once in a while log splitter, this one will work. It is a little under 1500 US dollars but it is well worth the price in my opinion.
- Features- Speed is key when you are splitting wood in the cold weather. This log splitter has speed just perfect for the every once in a while splitting. It has a dual-direction splitting wedge which allows for the amazing speed it has. The wedge travels in both directions allowing you to split twice as fast. It takes a total of 8 seconds per cycle and 4 seconds in each direction.
The splitting force is 16 tons which allows the splitter to be able to split logs longer in length. This gem is able to split logs up to 21 inches in length and up to 12 inches in diameter with a one-handed control operation. It also has an electronic ignition start system which allows for an easy start when you are ready to use it.
The Boss Industrial GD16T21 is made to save you space and easy to transport. It has extra wide long trays that help keep it in place while it is in use. It also has 2 inch ball coupler and safety chains. If you are about the environment it is also designed for fuel efficiency. This log splitter is also very dependable for those small loads of wood.
- Specifics- This beauty runs on a 6.5HP Kohler engine. It is 196cc’s and has a tank size of 0.95. It has a recoil start system with idle control. The wedge is made of steel and is approximately 6 inches with a 2 way motion.
When it comes to hydraulics, this has auto return, and a hydraulic filter. The hydraulic reservoir size is 3 with a cylinder diameter of 3 inches and a cylinder length of 18.5 inches.
Log cradles are included when you purchase this. However, assembly to all parts are required. It is approximately 71 inches in length, 41 inches in width, and 37.5 inches in height. It weighs about 306 pounds. It generally comes with a 2 year warranty and it has a 90 day commercial warranty.
Champion Power Equipment 91520 Log Splitter, 15 Ton
- Features- The Champion Power Equipment 91520 Log Splitter, 15 Ton is still great for every so often however, the cycle speed is a bit slower than the Boss Industrial that we just looked at. The speed for this is 10 seconds per cycle.
This particular log splitter tows easily with ATV’s, golf carts, or lawn mowers. However, the maximum speed while towing it is 15 miles per hour which means it is not allowed on any public road ways. It has 12 inch wheels just for your towing needs.
With this particular log splitter you are able to keep split logs on the beam and continue splitting other logs. This means you have to do less bending and moving of logs.
- Specifics- The engine in this one is made by Champion. It has a restart recoil and it is 196cc’s. The fuel tank size is 0.93 gallons and it has a low oil shutdown.
The wedge is made of 6 inch steel. The wedges are able to be sharpened and/or replaced which makes it nice that you do not have to go out and buy a whole new log splitter because the wedge goes bad.
Hydraulics on this are perfect for those once in while type of situations. It has auto return and a hydraulic filter. The Hydraulic reservoir size is 1.5 with a cylinder diameter of 3.3 inches and a length of 17.7 inches. This is capable of splitting almost 20 inch long logs.
It has a jack stand and it, just as the Boss Industrial above, has a log cradle. You still have to assemble it yourself. It weighs approximately 243 pounds and is about 38.4 inches long with a width of 35.8 inches and a height that is 70.6 inches.
The warranty on this is nowhere near what the Boss Industrial is but it still has a good warranty. This has a consumer warranty of 1 year which is not bad at all by that one year you should know if there are any broken parts or if it is not working correctly.
Sportsman Series LST12
- Price- Just as the other two this is under 1500 US dollars.
- Features- This gem extends up to 18 inches with four adjustable settings for ATV’s or UTV’s. It has front and rear hitches that allow you to haul wood back. It is stable for off road hauling and has the capability to split logs that are 21 inches long and 12 inches wide.
- Specifics- It has a recoil start engine that is 196cc’s with a 0.95 gallon tank. The wedge is still a 2 way style. It has the capability to have the wedge sharpened and it is 5 inches in size.
Compared to the other two this lacks hydraulics but it is still good for those once in a while occasions. It is able to be towed but again it should not be towed on public road ways. However, it only has one hitch to be towed.
Just as the Champion, it has a jack stand and a log cradle. You still have to assemble it and it weighs approximately 227 pounds. It is 72 inches in length and 33.5 inches in width with a height of 41 inches. This too has a 1 year consumer warranty.
Prosumer grade gas log splitters are capable of splitting wider, longer, and harder logs. It has a more powerful engine that has approximately 20-29 force capability. The positive with the prosumer grade is the horizontal beam can be turned into a vertical beam which means it can be lowered so that the log can be rolled onto the machine taking away all the heavy lifting you have to do with the consumer grade. This is the best one for you if you have to split wood multiple times a year and need a faster speed.
Dirty Hand Tools 100408
- Price- This everyday usable log splitter is just under 2,500 US dollars.
- Features- The great feature of this is that it converts from horizontal to vertical easily and you do not have to lift the logs onto the cradle. How much more could you ask for?
The Dirty Hand Tools 100408 can cut logs up to 25 inches long and it has a 14 second cycle time down and back. Pretty good timing if you ask me.
- Specifics- This log splitter has a Kohler engine with a recoil start system and is 196cc’s with a 0.95 gallon fuel tank. It also has a low oil shutdown system.
The wedge is made of 8 inch steel and it is 2 way. It is replaceable and you are able to sharpen the wedge. Again, for a more often occasion, this is a perfect log splitter.
It has auto return and a hydraulic filter. The hydraulic reservoir size is 5. The cylinder is 4.5 inches in diameter and 24 inches in length.
This one is more unique than any of the others that we have discussed because it is not just towable with a 2 inch ball hitch but you can tow it at 45 miles per hour.
This weighs approximately 645 pounds and is 88 inches in length with a 46 inch width. There is a jack stand and log cradle included with this as well.
Another perk to having this log splitter is it has a 3 year warranty on workmanship, 2 year warranty on the engine, and one year warranty on hydraulics.
Yardmax YS3065 30 Ton
- Price- The Yardmax YS2565 is under 1500 US dollars and is another great log splitter.
- Features- This is built to perform in demanding applications. It has dual end cylinders which gives equal weight distribution. It has a cylinder handle which makes it easy to position the splitter itself.
It can cut logs that are up to 26 inches long. It is reliable and easy to start and it provides more durability and less stress over time. Due to the design, it has a 10.9 second cycle time.
- Specifics- The engine is Briggs and Stratton with a recoil start system and it is 306cc’s. It has idle control and it has low oil shutdown.
The wedge is 7 inch steel with a 2 and 4 way system. It is adjustable and it is able to be sharpened. The wedge has a 4 way splitting method which is designed for quick connection and jam free operation. There is no need to change stripper plates.
Hydraulics has an auto return, hydraulic filter, hydraulic oil is included, and the hydraulic reservoir size is 4.5. The reservoir is built into the wheel shaft it has an internal filter as well.
It has a 2 inch ball hitch and it has 16 inch DOT-Approved Road Tires which allows for easy towing. It also has a unique spinner-plate that puts less stress on the beam by allowing the logs to split as they spin.
This weighs 572 pounds. It has a 3 year consumer warranty and a 90 day commercial warranty.
Ariens 27 Ton Horizontal/Vertical Gas Log Splitter
- Price- This particular log splitter is under 2,000 US dollars.
- Features- This is a no log lift again. Meaning you do not have to lift the logs onto the cradle. It is capable of splitting logs that are 25 inches long.
- Specifics- It has a Subaru engine with a recoil start system. It is 169cc’s with a 0.9 fuel tank. Also, it has idle control.
The wedge is a 2 way style and it is 6 inches. It has a replaceable wedge and it is able to be sharpened if needed.
Hydraulics is auto return with a hydraulic filter and hydraulic oil is included. The reservoir size is 4.5 and the cylinder diameter is the same.
It is towable with a fender included. However, it does not have D.O.T. lights. It has a 2 inch hitch ball and the maximum speed is 45 miles per hour.
It has a jack stand and a log cradle which is included. You have to assemble it yourself and it weighs approximately 500 pounds. It is 86.25 inches in length and 38.25 inches in width. It is about 46.5 inches in height and it has a 3 year consumer warranty.
Powerking 34 Ton Kinetic Log Splitter
- Price- This beauty is less than 2,500 US dollars.
- Features- This out splits hydraulic splitters 6 to 1. It has an incredible cycle time of 3 seconds. This is built for power and speed. It has automatic ram return which keeps you just splitting wood and there will be no leaks because no hydraulic oil is required.
It is able to split logs that are 24 inches in length and 30 inches in diameter. This is probably one of the best prosumer gas log splitters you can find.
- Specifics- It has a Kohler command engine with a recoil start. It has a 4 cycle engine and it has a 3 year consumer warranty on just the engine itself.
The wedge is 8 inch steel and it is a 2 way wedge. It does have hydraulic auto return but the cycle time out beats any other with 3 seconds. It is towable with a 2 inch towing ball. It has pneumatic wheels which helps with travel.
Jack and the cradle is included. You have to assemble the log splitter. It weighs approximately 485 pounds and it is 114 inches in length, 33 inches in diameter, and 43 inches in height.
Those who split wood for a living realize that machinery does not come cheap. While the professional grade is identical to the prosumer grade gas log splitter, it has the capability to split larger logs and at a faster speed than the prosumer grade. It can split logs larger than 30 tons and 26 inches long. This is definitely the one for you if you are being paid to split the wood.
50 Ton Log Splitter Commercial Grade Hydraulic Wood
- Price- This is less than 3,000 US dollars.
- Features- This is capable of splitting logs up to 25 inches in length.
- Specifics- This 50 Ton Log Splitter Commercial Grade has a two stage pump.
It weighs in at 650 pounds and it is 91 inches in length, 51.1 inches in width, and 70 inches in height. It is 46 inches at the wheels and it also has a preinstalled hydraulic oil filter.
The engine is made to be very good quality and works for your needs. It is a Loncin Gas Motor and it is 420cc’s. It also has a 2 inch ball for any towing needs and can go to a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour.
- Airens 34 Ton
- Price- Obviously the higher in price you get the more expensive it is going to get. This one comes in under 4,500 US dollars.
- Features- It easily changes from horizontal to vertical and it does it at high speed. Even though it is slower than the rest, it can still split a log at 18 seconds per cycle. Critical parts of a log splitter is located at the front of the splitter.
- Specifics- This has a Subaru engine and a recoil start. It is 211cc’s and it has a 0.9 gallon fuel tank. It also has an idle control. The wedge size is 6 inches and it is 2 way with the capability of being replaced and sharpened.
It has auto return hydraulics with a hydraulic filter and oil is included. The cylinder is 5 inches in diameter.
It is towable with fenders and a 2 inch ball for towing purposes. It also has fenders included to make it easier to tow. The maximum speed you are allowed to go while towing is 45 miles per hour.
The jack stand and cradle are both included when you purchase this particular log splitter. Assembly is required just like all the others and it weighs approximately 595 pounds and it is 86.25 inches in length, 38.25 inches in width, and 46.5 inches in height.
Just to put your mind at ease it comes with a 3 year warranty.
Swisher LSED 14534-CA34 Ton Timber Brute Commercial Pro 14.5 hp
- Price- The price for this is under 6,000 US dollars.
- Features- This can split logs up to 25 inches long at a speed of 22 seconds per cycle. Even though the cycle is slower than other’s that I have discussed in this piece, it is built to last.
It has a Briggs & Stratton engine and it has a recoil start system with a 0.7 fuel tank size. It has idle control as well.
The wedge material is made from 7 inch steel. It is a 2 way style and the wedge is replaceable and it is able to be sharpened.
The hydraulics is auto return with a hydraulic filter. The reservoir size is 5 and the cylinder diameter is 5 inches and the length 24 inch.
This particular log splitter is made in the USA. You have to assemble it just as all the others and it weighs 551 pounds. The length is 90 inches, width is 41 inches, and the height is 39 inches. It also has a 1 year warranty.
As everyone knows, the better quality things are the more expensive they become. If you are like me you want good quality at a good price. You do not want to over spend on something that you are only going to use once in a while. The important thing to remember is you do not need a commercial grade log splitter for everyday use.
If you are only going to use the log splitter once a year than one of the consumer log splitters is the right one for you. They are high quality but do not handle large loads of wood but will do the trick for those every once in a while jobs.
If you need something more than what the consumer log splitter can do but do not need a commercial grade yet than you should check out the prosumer grade log splitters that I mentioned. They are good quality and can handle more loads of wood than the consumer grade.
If you are looking to split wood every day as a job than you most definitely need to look into a commercial grade level log splitter. This is more expensive but well worth the cost. Who wants to continue to buy a log splitter that costs so much money every other month or so?
If you plan to split wood every day and you buy anything but a commercial grade level log splitter than you will more than likely have to buy another one sooner than later because they are not made for those every day usages.