Table of Contents
- Worst Scenario: $0 – $100
- Average Scenario: $100 – $500
- Best Scenario: > $500
- How Do You Make Money via Blogs?
- How Much Time Does It Take to Make Money via Blogs?
- Ways to Make Money with Your Blog
- How to Start Your Blog and Make Money
Today, it’s not just stay-at-home-parents who blog; more and more people from various industries like finance, medicine and teaching are taking up blogging full-time. However, the question often asked is this: can you make money from blogging? The answer is yes, you most definitely can.
Let us look at some blogging facts:
- Almost 7 million people around the world blog.
- Around 63% of bloggers earn less than $3.50 a day and around 10% of these bloggers earn close to nothing.
- Around 14% of bloggers make sufficient money and can consider this as salary, with the average salary set at around $24,000. Only 8% of bloggers make enough money to support their family.
So, a blogger’s earnings vary. Some earn millions of dollars a year, some earn a pretty decent income, some make very little and some do not make money at all. The amount a blogger makes is not guaranteed; it is not easy and there is no limit to the earning potential. Here are some examples of various scenarios where you can make money via blogging:
If you start a blog with around 10,000 words, you can earn a few dollars in the first couple of months. In around six months’ time, if you publish continuously, you may be able to reach the $100 mark. This option may make it seem like you have invested a lot of time for very small returns; however, it has been seen that traffic and conversions start to increase significantly when you cross the 50,000 words level.
However, in order to reach this level, you must optimize your blog well by choosing your keywords carefully. If you write regularly and are still earning $100 after six months, it might mean you have not chosen the right niche. If you reach such a stage, it is a good idea to cut your losses.
If your blog is giving you around $500 per month, you can begin reinvesting some of the earnings into the blog. You can also outsource your content and reduce the amount of work you do. Around 50,000 to 100,000 words are enough to get you in the range of $500 per month. However, several blogs are not able to reach this level of earnings even if the blogger is writing and publishing continuously. So, even if your content is right, you may not really see a significant amount of traffic coming your blog’s way. Remember, consistent work is what pays off ultimately.
If the income from your blog crosses the $500 per month mark, it means you’re doing things right. There is no limit to your potential income! In most cases, blogs don’t reach the $500 level unless they have been at it for at least a year and have published around 100,000 words. There is always an uncertain relationship between the number of words published and your earnings. More than the quantity, it is quality that matters. Optimize your keywords and keep the content engaging.
Most successful bloggers utilize their blogs as a home base and build income streams from here. Using your blog as a central hub is very important since it gives you a location and lets you control your message. As a blogger, you can use your blog to make money directly or indirectly via relevant partnerships. Small streams of income from various sources can ultimately add up to a substantial amount.
To build a high-quality blog and maintain it, you need to give several hours of work per week. You need to invest a few months of work before the blog actually starts making money for you. It takes around 3-6 months to earn a part-time income blogging and around 1-2 years for your blog to be established and earn a full-time, consistent income.
Starting a blog and earning a substantial income within a few months is not a realistic goal; there is a lot you need to establish. For instance, you need to create a site, build your social network and establish your presence on social media. You also need to build a content library, establish your credibility and build relationships with your readers. Don’t be disheartened; keep blogging persistently and your efforts are sure to pay off in the long run. This option could potentially fetch you a steady income at your own pace!
The money you make from your blog depends on how you monetize your website. Here are a few of the most popular ways of getting started:
- Affiliate marketing
- Physical products
- Digital products
You can make money via affiliate marketing, where you promote the products or services of another business to your readers. You end the post with a link to the business’s link. If a reader clicks via the link and buys the product or service, or completes any other action required by the company, you earn money by way of a commission. There are several affiliate programs that you can join, like Amazon Associates, Amazon Influencer Program and Bluehost, among others.
Among the various income streams you can opt for, affiliate marketing is the most profitable. You can promote the products and services you use without the hassles of creating and maintaining them yourself.
Companies are always looking for avenues through which they can advertise their products and services to potential customers. If the readers of your blog are also the target audience of any company, the business may like to advertise their product/service on your blog. Some ways in which advertising can be integrated into your blog are:
- Display Ads: Include graphics within the content, header, sidebar or footer.
- Reviews and Giveaways: When you highlight the company’s product or service on your blog, the company provides you with a free sample and monetary compensation (depending on your agreement).
- Sponsored Posts: Sometimes, the company may pay you to write blog posts that mention the brand or their product/service.
- Newsletter/ Podcast/ Video Sponsorships: The company may want you to include short commercials in episodes of your podcasts. They may also ask you to include videos or other advertisements in emails.
Advertising is a popular income stream that several bloggers opt for. Today, however, advertising may not be as profitable as it was earlier. For the ad to be really worthwhile from the business’ perspective, it requires a lot of traffic.
You can sell physical products on your blog, like books, retail arbitrage, classes, special events, in-person conferences, handmade or manufactured products and more. This is a great way of earning money, but selling physical products can become quite complicated, especially since you have to manufacture the products, maintain the inventory and handle shipping and returns.
Several bloggers create their own digital products and sell them. Digital products are advantageous as they do not need any inventory and can be distributed quickly and easily. Also, digital products do not entail any overheads and are low-risk. Examples of popular digital products are online courses, e-books, online workshops and classes, membership sites, premium content, selling photographs online, audios, voiceovers, video clips, plugins, apps, themes, etc.
You can use your subject matter knowledge while blogging about a certain topic, and others will pay you for your expertise. You can offer your services physically or virtually; some examples include speaking, organizing events, decorating, virtual assistance, etc. Making money by offering services is very easy as the costs involved are fairly low. Additionally, it requires practically no inventory and you are paid for a skill you already possess. However, the downside to this is that services are not scalable.
- Make use of as many income streams as you can manage; diversification is the best way to go.
- Content is king.
- Each blogger has a specific combination of income streams that work for them. The key is to find what works best for you.
- Be unique; don’t try to mimic another blogger.
- Don’t start your blog with the sole objective of making money. Start one because you enjoy writing about the topic. Let the money flow naturally.
- If you don’t already have one, start a blog on any topic.
- Start building a content library with at least 10 to 20 blog posts.
- Ensure that your blog posts are useful and informative.
- Choose the income streams you think can be natural extensions of your post.
- Build your social media networks via Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Don’t just focus on promoting your blog; be a part of the conversations.
While you can start your blog for free and still make money, this option does not give you complete control over your content. It can also be risky, especially if you plan to depend on your blog for money. The best option is to opt for a self-hosted blog on WordPress, which is easy and affordable.
Starting a blog is very easy. All you need to do is follow a few steps and you’ll be up and running in no time:
- Decide the topic you want to blog on; pick something you enjoy.
- Choose a topic that lends itself to robust group discussions, since you need plenty of content to keep your blog interesting.
- Select a niche where you can establish yourself as an expert. You may not be the only blogger writing about that particular topic, so ensure your content is unique. Remember, every topic can be approached from different angles. Find your unique take on the subject.
Choose the platform on which you will host your blog. The options available are endless; a few choices include WordPress, Weebly, Blogger, Squarespace, Wix, etc. The most popular platform is WordPress; it is functional, flexible and has a large user community. You can choose from these two different options:
- WordPress-hosted blogs are also called WordPress.com blogs. These are usually free, but your potential to earn gets limited.
- WordPress self-hosted blogs are also called WordPress.org blogs. You need pay for the self-hosted blogs; however, they offer greater control and your income potential is also not limited.
For your blog to be accessed by readers everywhere, you require server space. You will find this on hosting companies like Bluehost. Bluehost is among the largest, most popular and most robust hosting platforms in the blogging space. It also allows you to register your domain name for free and choose from a wide range of plans.
Select your domain name or web address. If you don’t have a name in mind, come up with a catchy, short and appealing name for your blog.
Once you complete the registration process, you can install WordPress – a free blogging platform. Once you complete the installation process, you can choose a WordPress template and set it up. Now you’re all set to roll!
Anyone can start a blog and make money; however, a blog is not really a means to get rich quickly. If you’re starting from scratch, it may be quite a while before you see any money coming in and more time until your blog starts generating a decent income. Blogging is a great option if you’re considering it as a part-time job to make an extra income. However, it pays to be persistent and patient to see long-term success.