Table of Contents
- Affiliate Marketing
- Online Courses
- Freelance Writing
- Google AdSense
- Coaching or Consulting
There are many simple methods by which you can make money with your blog. The first step is, of course, selecting a niche market that is profitable. Take care to choose a niche that not only has a definite market but also intersects with your expertise, interests and passions. And, once you have done this, the next step is driving traffic to your site, building your subscriber list and making money.
The main objective of your blog should be to provide invaluable information and content for the readers and this is the way by which you can establish your expertise in your particular niche in the long run.
When you start a blog, the first thing you must understand is that your blog will not start earning an income overnight. You will have to set up your blog first, build a reader base or readers who trust you and drive regular traffic to your blog before your blog starts making money. And, all of this comes with plenty of hard work that you must be willing to put in.
As a beginner blogger, your blog probably does not have a lot of traffic and you probably don’t have a large subscriber list too. So, a good idea is to start in a small way, even earning $100 and scale up the earnings from there as the blog grows. By setting a smaller target at first, you will be motivated, as a larger goal may seem too difficult to achieve.
If you have just started your blog and don’t quite know where to start, in our article, we will discuss some of the easiest and quickest ways by which you can start earning $500 – $1000 a month with your blog. While the earnings may not be very high in the beginning, once you get a hang of the basics, you can scale it up and earn a lot more.
Some of the ways in which you can monetize your blog are – affiliate marketing, eBooks, online courses, freelance writing and Google AdSense (and other ad platforms).
Affiliate Marketing is one of the easiest ways for you to make money via your blog. For this, you do not require your own products and services. All you have to do is promote products of other companies on your blog and if someone buys the product or service, you earn a commission.
There are hundreds of affiliate programs you can choose from. The Amazon Affiliate program is quite popular with beginners. To become an Amazon Affiliate, all you have to do is sign up with Amazon and use the Amazon link in your blog. When someone buys via the link on Amazon, you will earn a commission on the sale.
Apart from this, you can also sign up to make use of big affiliate marketing networks such as Commission Junction or ShareASale. These affiliate networks have hundreds of affiliate programs for several brands and you can choose the products and brands you would like to promote and you can do it conveniently through a centralized platform.
- First, you must make a list of the products and services that you like and find out about the affiliate marketing opportunities available for these products and services.
- Next, sign up with Amazon and/or any other affiliate marketing networks.
- Develop content which will help you promote and market the products and services that you have chosen. You can also make a YouTube video about the products or services. For instance, if you are promoting a software, you can create a step-by-step tutorial or a video on how to use the software. And, for the software, you can include an affiliate link within your article or your YouTube video and if a visitor clicks and purchases the software via the link, you will earn a commission.
- As a piece of content, you can also do product reviews. This strategy is commonly used by beauty and fashion bloggers who write reviews of products they use and like and also add an affiliate link via which the readers can make a purchase. When you test the products and document your review on how well the products work or don’t, it helps to save people time and money to test out the products themselves. And, if your customers are happy with your review, they will buy via the link on your blog and in turn, you earn money.
- There are several effective and creative methods by which you can create content to achieve affiliate marketing results.
- It is a good idea to look around and see how other bloggers are promoting affiliate partnerships in your niche. And, there is no need to really reinvent the wheel. You could take ideas from other successful bloggers.
The key to making money via affiliate marketing is that people must visit and read your blog. So, you must promote your blog on social media, through your email list and in any other ways you feel will work for you. The more the traffic that visits your blog, the greater will be the opportunities for you to earn through affiliate marketing.
eBooks are an excellent way by which you can sell your own products or services and is also a great way by which you can test whether your audience is ready to buy products or services from you. Don’t let the term “eBook” scare you. It does not mean that you have to write a book with hundreds of pages. A good eBook is a brief and concise compilation loaded with information.
An eBook is similar to a blog post but longer. You can write an eBook about almost any topic but it would best to choose a topic that is relevant to readers. Ensure that the topic you choose to write about is something you know very well, can write about and more importantly, it is interesting for your readers to buy.
If you are a first-time blogger and eBook writer, then it is a good idea to price your eBook reasonably, around $7 – $40, which not a very huge amount for a reader to pay and you will be able to sell your eBook easily. And, once you are able to sell a few eBooks, you can take things further by creating other types of digital products like video tutorials, webinars, online courses, etc.
- Do your homework about what are the popular topics and what will click with your readers. Determine what topics you have expertise in and what you can write about and then finally choose the topic.
- To write your eBook, you do not require any fancy software. You can use a simple word processor such as MS Word or Google Docs to write and format your eBook. Once you have finished writing, you can use a software like Canva to design and create an attractive cover page; now you’re all set to go.
- Once this is done, the next step is to decide where you want to promote and sell your eBook and you can make use of various platforms such as:
- Your Blog: You can promote your eBook on your blog. You can speak about it in your blog posts, promote it to your audience via your mailing list and you can place banners in your blog on the sidebar.
- Online Retailer Platforms: You can sell your eBook on Amazon by first self-publishing the book. You can also sell your eBook on ClickBank, which is a popular online digital products retailer.
- Determine how you will accept payments from your customers and deliver your eBook to them. You can do this easily via Amazon or ClickBank or if you’re selling via your blog, you can use a service like SendOwl. You can also have your own setup and get payments via Stripe or Paypal and once you get the payment, email the eBook to the customer.
- The sales of your eBook will depend on how well you promote it. You can promote it through various forums like your Facebook groups, your email list, on Pinterest and any other place you feel is relevant.
Once you have created eBooks, the next logical step from there is creating online courses and selling them. Often, bloggers first develop an eBook and expand the same topic into a detailed online course. Just like eBooks, online courses can be created on any topic at all.
The only thing you must keep in mind is to choose a topic that you have plenty of knowledge about and it should be something which people would like to learn about. For example, if you run a food blog, then your online course can be about recipes or if you have a fashion blog, then you can have an online course that speaks about fashion trends and tips. If your blog is about relationships, then your online course could give tips to people about how to manage their long-distance relationships.
Usually, you can sell the online course at a much higher price than your eBook; however, the price will really depend on your expertise, the depth and content of the course and if the audience is already familiar with you and your work. Short courses can sell in the price range of $30 – $50 with high-level courses by experts may even sell for $1,000.
Do your homework and check how the other online courses in your niche are priced and what is the average price point. You should take care not to overprice your course, but at the same time do not undersell yourself also. It is a good idea to test a few price points and determine the one that works the best for you.
- To start an online course, decide the topic you want to address which can be of help to your audience.
- Once you decide on the topic, the next step is to plan and develop the course. There are several formats that you can deliver the course in; however, usually, the most common format that works well is the combination of video lectures, text and slideshows.
- Decide on how you want to deliver the information and according to that create your content.
- You do not require any complex equipment to create the online course. All you need is your computer, where you can write your course scripts on Google Docs and you can record your videos on your smartphone. Make sure you find a quiet place and start recording.
- Once you have created your online course, you need to decide on where you will sell it. There are many options such as:
- You can host your online course on your own website.
- You can use platforms such as Udemy, Skillshare or other similar websites.
- The complexity of your online course also depends on where you can sell it. Using platforms such as Teachable is ideal for courses that are heavy with a lot of slideshows and videos.
- When people buy your online course, you must find a way to deliver the course.
- You can host the videos on Vimeo and YouTube and deliver it via your website. You can also use platforms like ClickFunnels or Teachable, which not only allow you to host your online course but also accepts payments when the courses are sold.
- If you make use of a platform such as Udemy to sell your online courses, then the website will guide you through the entire process of setting your course up and selling your course via the Udemy platform.
- And, as always, promotion is the most important aspect of getting customers to know about your online course. You can use your social media, advertise via your blog and send emails to your customers about your course. It’s also a good idea to promote your course on all relevant forums and groups where potential students hang out and spend most of their time.
If you have a blog, then that is ample evidence that you can write and unless you are very creative and love writing, it will be quite difficult for you to be a successful blogger. One more avenue to make money via your blog is through freelance writing.
You can pitch to your existing and potential customers in your niche by making use of your blog as a proof of your writing skills. If there is not much traffic coming to your blog, then freelance writing is an excellent way to begin blogging and make money, especially for beginners.
- There are many types of freelance writing that you can do and you need to determine the kind you want to do. Do your homework and then decide on whether you would like to get into social media writing, copywriting, writing blogs, etc.
- There are several ways where you can find freelance writing work:
- You can join a freelance platform like Upwork and create your profile, after which you can apply for writing assignments.
- You can cold pitch for clients by researching your potential customers in your particular niche. For example, if you run a fashion blog, you could target business owners in the fashion industry who could be your potential clients. You can email them to pitch for writing their blog content or you could ghostwrite for their business.
- You can get clients via Facebook forums and groups. There are many popular Facebook groups that are related to freelancing and writing, which can be an excellent source of work for beginner writers.
- You can get freelance writing assignments via your network. Spread the word around that you’re looking for writing work and you can have potential customers contacting you.
- You can make use of your blog to pitch for work. You could create a “Services” or “Work with Me” page and add freelance writing as one of the services that you offer clients. If potential customers visit your page and like what they read, they may show interest in working with you on freelance assignments.
- And finally, to make people aware of your freelance writing services promote them via your professional and personal networks, your blog and social media.
This is a platform that is owned by Google and is a very popular way of earning money for beginner bloggers. Essentially, you sign up with Google Ads and allow them to place ads on your blog. You can decide where you want the ads to be placed and how many ads you want to display on your blog.
In return, Google pays you either by the number of views the ad gets on your site or when a visitor to your site clicks on the ad. The best part of AdSense is that the readers can see ads which are relevant to them, which means that the visitors to your blog will see ads which are related to your blog content.
Or, on basis of their browsing history, they may see ads for products they might have shown interest in previously. Based on your niche and the traffic, with Google AdSense, you can make a lot of money. And, the more traffic that you are able to generate, the more are your earnings.
- Google Ads is a free to signup platform and once you have become a member, you can learn more about it, what is possible and also choose the ads.
- You can have as many ads (within the reasonable limit set by Google) or as few as you want on your blog. However, it may be a good idea to restrict the number of ads and not overwhelm your visitors with a lot of ads.
- Decide where the ads must be placed, whether you want them on the sidebar, within the blog posts, at the top, bottom, etc. Now you should start seeing some money trickle in every time somebody clicks on an ad.
The income you make via AdSense depends on the traffic you are able to generate and the quality of traffic. If the traffic is relevant, then the ads will perform better. So, you must try and promote your content as much as possible, so that the people seeing it will be tempted to click on the ads.
Usually, when you start a blog on a specific topic and begin writing on the same, you become well versed with it and an expert in the particular subject. So, if you are writing for a blog, writing eBooks and also developing online courses, then you could consider becoming a coach or a consultant.
For example, if you have a blog that is all about home improvement, then you could offer consulting services in interior design. Or, if you have extensive knowledge on any topic, you could offer coaching services in food, health, fitness, etc. depending on your subject of expertise.
You must first decide on what you would like to offer coaching or consulting for and the ways in which you can help people. You can create a service based on this. You can setup a basic website using an easy website building and hosting service like Squarespace or CMS such as WordPress talking a little bit about the coaching services you have on offer.
Start writing out some quality content on the subject matter and you’ll see that the word will slowly get around. The key here is to post refreshing and enriching content on a regular basis and then spend enough time getting the word around (aka content marketing). This will help in getting the word out and setting up a strong base for your business through which potential clients can get in touch with you.
Promote and sell your coaching or consulting service to your audience, who already know of you and trust you. These could be people who know you have a particular skillset and have always wanted to learn it from you, it could be your website visitors who have started reading your blog and really like your inputs on the subject or it could be family members who have known you for years that you could get on board for a nominal fee to get the ball rolling.
So, here are 6 varied methods by which you can earn money via your blog. While you do not have to follow all the methods, you can begin with one or maybe a couple of them to start with. Choose the option that appeals to you the most and the one that you think is the easiest to do and get off the ground.