Table of Contents
- What to Consider When Choosing a Niche
- Popular Niches That Make Money
- Finance and Budgeting
- Final Verdict
How can blogs bring in money, you ask? Well, there are several ways to make money while blogging:
- Affiliate Marketing: Every time a reader goes through your blog and purchases the product you’re affiliated with, you make a commission.
- Advertisements: Devote space on your site for advertisements.
- Selling products: Make direct profits by selling a product or a service on your blog.
There are many tried and tested ways to make money from a blog, but they work only as long as you have something valuable to say. So, how do you know if your blog will bring in the cash?
Before you settle on a niche, here are a few questions you may want to answer:
- The Market: Does your topic have a big market beyond the blogosphere? Is it considered profitable in the industry? If your answer is yes, you have chosen correctly.
- Footfall:Do the patrons of this industry generally turn to the internet for advice and tips? If yes, it means your blog has potential viewers.
- Propensity to Spend: Does your target audience have purchasing power or are they only coming to browse? If they are young or unlikely to spend money, you may want to rethink your niche.
- Affiliations: Does your niche offer opportunities for affiliate marketing? Affiliate marketing is the most effective way of making money from blogging. So if your niche has no opportunities or room for affiliate marketing, rethink its value.
Here are a few popular and profitable niches. Of course, there are many topics that have not have made it to the list, but if they check all the boxes above, you are moving in the right direction. Read on for suggestions:
This multi-million dollar industry never sleeps. Travel and tourism are always in demand; in 2017, people spent $629.81 billion on online purchases related to travel. This number can only increase. The travel industry is here to stay and prosper!
There are several sub-niches you can focus on if you want to write about travel. The female solo traveler blog – Dame Traveler – which started out as a blog and is now a full-fledged community of female travelers, is an excellent example of this. The blog is especially popular on visual mediums like Instagram and Pinterest.
Here are a few other sub-niches you could explore:
- Adventure travel
- Food and travel
- Camping and hikes
- Beach destinations
There are niches to be carved out everywhere; you just have to find yours.
There are many ways to make money with a travel blog. You could:
- Get paid to write hotel reviews.
- Recommend specific travel gear in your posts and encourage your readers to buy them.
- Sell travel-related e-books.
The only problem that may arise with a travel blog is that it doesn’t guarantee a long-term customer engagement. Most people will come to your blog only when they’re planning a holiday or want tips. But when they are back in work mode, they may not be inclined to browse through your blog. So you may have to work twice as hard to keep things relevant and interesting throughout the year.
The health industry is another broad, multi-faceted niche. Providing everything from supplements to personal fitness, this industry is always in demand. As long as people want to remain healthy, the industry will be alive and well. This niche works well for bloggers since there are many brands and companies offering several opportunities for affiliate marketing.
There is more to the health industry than hospitals and medicines. What people care about is their personal health and how they can maintain it. You could start a personal fitness blog on the lines of Avocadu, which was started by a US-based couple and is now one of the more successful fitness blogs in the community. Avocadu frequently talks about diet plans, exercise regimes and even throws in a workout challenge or two.
Other niches you can consider are:
- Women’s fitness
There are various ways to make money in the health niche. For starters, people always want to know what to wear while working out. Recommend shoes and other gear for different types of fitness enthusiasts and encourage your readers to buy specific brands. Other options include:
- Writing an e-book of healthy recipes
- Selling online workout plans
Ironically, one of the most popular ways to make money from blogging is by telling people how they can make money. This is a popular niche because people are always looking to make a quick buck, transition into a non-traditional career or simply manage their money better.
Pick a niche you can speak about with some authority. Make sure it’s something you enjoy. If you are a freelancer, you share relevant advice on your blog. Check out this popular blog – The Wherever Writer. The author, Amy, quit her desk job at 22 and has been traveling since. She works from anywhere, unconstrained by location. Amy shares tips on getting freelance work, traveling and blogging. She has frequent online courses, tutorials and contests that keep her audience engaged and money coming in
Some other niches you can consider are:
- Making money online
- Making money as a social media manager
- Making money blogging
The idea here is to share advice and knowledge based on your own experience. Here are a few things you could do:
- Sell an e-book imparting finance-related wisdom.
- Recommend services you use on your blog or products related to your niche.
E-learning is the mother lode of profitable blogs on the internet. It includes a wide variety of skills you can impart and gives you all the flexibility you need. If you have honed a specific skill, it’s time to teach others and make money!
If your skill has interested takers, it can be your blog niche. For example, if you’re a software expert or coder, there’s a market for you. Learn To Code With Me is a great example of this. According to the blog’s stats, it has 75,000 monthly unique visitors from over 165 countries!
Here are a few other niches you could consider:
- How to use Adobe Photoshop
- How to speak English fluently
- How to play the guitar
How do you make money from this niche? The answer is pretty clear. You are teaching your audience a specific skill, so market it accordingly:
- Sell video tutorials or e-books about your skill set. You can host your course on platforms like Teachable or ClickFunnels.
- Recommend other courses related to your niche. You can join affiliate programs with sites like Udemy and Skillshare.
- Offer one-on-one classes at premium rates.
Even someone who isn’t traditionally interested in fashion wants to look presentable. In fact, we always want our things to look aesthetically pleasing – whether it’s our clothes, curtains, walls or cars.
There is a host of niches you can choose from. Pocket-friendly fashion is a popular pick. Take the example of The Budget Fashionista, a blog that talks about the best sales, how to put together a great look on a budget and more. St Louis-based author Catherine even sells her own looks on Instagram, since she encourages her audience to try out the brands she wears.
Here are some other niches you could look at:
- Makeup tutorials
- Men’s fashion
Fashion is all about products. All the money you make will be via products; for instance, you can:
- Make recommendations for products and earn a commission
- Sell your own fashion products
- Sell your e-books or tutorials
The fashion industry is full of opportunities for affiliate marketing, so jump on the train!
There are few experiences more satisfying than blogging about something you love and making money from it. So pick a niche you enjoy and see if it has profitable audience or market. Don’t lose sleep over it, however. If there is something you feel truly passionate about, start blogging about it even if it seems like there is no real audience for it. There are plenty of options to figure out as you go along. Narrow your options down to the niche that works best for you. What’s important is to start something you love; the money will follow!