Sulforaphane is a powerful plant compound that is found in several leafy greens such as broccoli and one that is known to have several positive effects on the human body.
In essence, this is a compound rich in sulfur that is activated when two key enzymes namely glucoraphanin and myrosinase come into contact with each other.
Sulforaphane uses our Nrf2 pathway to set into motion the antioxidant-producing genes including glutathione and enzymes that lead to detoxification. Though not an antioxidant in itself, sulforaphane provides robust and long-lasting antioxidant protection.
Cruciferous vegetables are known to be high in the concentration of sulforaphane, which is also categorized as an isothiocyanate. Besides, these veggies are also a rich source of several antioxidants, minerals and vitamins, thereby packing a healthy punch for your body.
- Broccoli and Brussels sprouts
- Rocket leaves
The benefit of these veggies is that they can be consumed in various forms such as salads and one-cup dishes.
There is a key to making the most of these cruciferous veggies i.e. these need to be cut neatly and chewed properly in order to activate the glucoraphanin present in them. If you quickly toss these veggies with mustard seeds, you may be in for more healthy goodness.
Here are a few tips for making the most of foods rich in sulforaphane:
- As far as possible, consume foods that are rich in sulforaphane in their raw form. If you don’t like them in this form, we would recommend steaming them for no more than a couple of minutes to gain the most out of them.
- If you cook these raw veggies at anything over 140 degrees, you may lose glucoraphanin in the sulforaphane.
- Frying or microwaving sulforaphane rich foods should be avoided at all costs.
- It is not just enough to eat broccoli, you also need to add myrosinase in your diet as this helps activate glucoraphanin found in foods such as broccoli sprouts and seeds.
- You should always go for younger sprouts (less than three days in age) over more mature plants for extracting the maximum amount of sulforaphane.
- Broccoli soup, a quarter of a cup, when consumed on a daily basis can lead to wonders.
Broccoli sprouts are known to be one of the best ways to consume sulforaphane. But it doesn’t always have to be boring. You can really spruce things up by making it the right way.
Though the option of purchasing broccoli sprouts exists, you can whip up these at home, ensuring both their freshness and also ensuring that they don’t dent a hole in your pocket. You can even grow them in your backyard or kitchen garden. It’s easy and incredibly therapeutic and ensures you never run out of these.
Here are a few ways you can incorporate broccoli sprouts into your diet:
- As a salad topper, just squeeze in some lemon juice and a sprinkling of pepper and you are good to go!
- If you and your kids don’t like broccoli sprouts in their raw form, you can blend it in your smoothie and still be able to extract its goodness.
- Broccoli sprouts can be used as a soup garnish.
- Add some broccoli sprouts to your avocado toast and see the health and goodness double up. Since these sprouts have a very strong taste and flavor of their own. Do not go overboard because then you run the risk of spoiling the taste of your toast.
If you lead a busy life and do not have the time to be very experimental with broccoli recipes, here is a quick salad that you can whip in no more than 10 minutes.
- Cut your broccoli into small edible pieces. This is the only part that will take some time.
- Prepare a marinade of your choice for the broccoli. You can even use an older marinade if you have kept something in the fridge.
- Keep a few nuts handy to add an additional dollop of health.
- Chop some veggies of your choice to go with the broccoli. These may include tomatoes, onion and cucumber.
- Mix the veggies with marinated broccoli, add the nuts and sprinkle lemon juice and pepper. Add some cheese and olive oil for a divine taste.
Though a diet rich in cruciferous vegetables can make up for a lot of lack of sulforaphane, sulforaphane supplements may also be something that you could need. Though this is something you need to confirm with a professional expert, these are usually safe.
There are several enzyme-activated supplements that are available on the market that you could benefit from. Of course, pay attention to the brand reputation and your doctor or dietician’s prescription before making your final choice.
A 10 mg sulforaphane supplement is usually considered sufficient for promoting health and well-being and can be eaten anytime and even on an empty stomach for the most effective results.
Sulforaphane is known to keep the body healthy by enabling detoxification and ridding the body of any toxins that have no purpose to serve in the body.
There are many other health benefits of sulforaphane, in addition to its detoxifying nature, that makes it highly desirable. Some of these include:
Sulforaphane is known to relieve symptoms of inflammation and keep the body healthy and strong. Inflammation can lead to damage to the arteries that could further aggravate into numerous heart diseases. Hence, sulforaphane is helpful in avoiding this situation.
Sulforaphane is known to stop the ability of cancerous cells to multiply. This essentially means that it is efficient in arresting the growth of tumors and preventing them from spreading to various parts of the body.
It is also found to be effective in blocking the DNA mutations that may potentially lead to cancer.
Sulforaphane is effective in releasing antioxidants in the body that provide protection against cancer-causing carcinogens.
Though concentrated forms of sulforaphane are found to be more effective in doing this, sulforaphane found in dietary forms is also known to promote health and well-being.
There is scientific evidence to showcase that sulforaphane boosts heart health in more ways than we could think of. It is effective in reducing blood pressure and keeping it to optimum levels that also promote heart health.
Type-2 diabetes is a lifestyle disorder that impacts several people across the globe every year. Its onset and progression are linked to several serious ailments that leave the body seriously compromised.
Sulforaphane is known to reduce blood sugar levels and keep it to optimum levels, thereby keeping the body healthy.
It is not just your skin that can be damaged from the daily exposure to harsh ultraviolet rays but also your eyes. In fact, the eyes bear the strain of everyday work and struggle the most given the nature of work most people are involved in the digital economy.
Eating broccoli sprouts may lead to better eye protection. This is because they promote phase 2 detoxification and shield your eyes against harmful ultraviolet rays.
Sulforaphane, both in dietary and concentrated forms, leads to many health benefits including:
- Sulforaphane may lead to healthier skin by reducing the harm caused by ultraviolet rays on the skin.
- It is also known to promote healthier recovery after a severe brain injury.
- People who complain of frequent bouts of constipation may find sulforaphane effective in relieving symptoms.
The times we live in, detox has become a rather fashionable word. Call it the spiral of unhealthy lifestyles and bad food choices that we are all guilty of or the ever-increasing stress, we all crave a detox from time to time.
Our bodies build toxins as they go along and it is necessary to remove these from the system if we want to remain healthy and fit. If left untreated, you would be inviting a host of problems such as tiredness, fatigue, hormonal and digestive issues.
Sulforaphane, also known as a superhero nutrient by many, can help the body get rid of these toxins and strengthen its antioxidant properties.
Now that you know that sulforaphane is beneficial in promoting a detox in the body, you should also weigh in the many benefits of a detox and why you should do one.
Firstly, it improves the energy levels in the body and makes you feel more agile, lively and stress-free. This is crucial as feeling lethargic not only affects your productivity levels but also makes you feel lifeless.
Secondly, a good and thorough detox can be a great way of confronting long due health problems, the genesis of which is hard to trace at times. These include muscle aches, fatigue and recurrent headaches.
Lastly, a good detox is a great way of losing excess weight in the right manner. No fad diets, no over-the-top exercise regime. Just the right treatment for your body!
Toxins lead to severe oxidative stress in the body which is then countered by sulforaphane. Not only does it neutralize the free radicals but also protects the cells and tissues in the body from damage and degeneration.
In short, sulforaphane helps in the body’s detoxification process by taking care of unwanted radical toxins. It does this by introducing enzymes that help the liver in the detoxification process and finally eliminating these harmful elements from the body. The toxins that sulforaphane helps remove also include estrogens and chemical compounds such as xenobiotics because they are alien to the body.
If you consume a diet rich in broccoli, it can lead to urinary excretion of pollutants from the body.
The key role played by sulforaphane in the detoxification process of the body is that they wake up the Nrf2 thereby acting as the Nrf2 activator freeing the Nrf2 to haul up the body’s antioxidant production.
In addition to ridding of the toxins, this process leads to the following benefits:
- The Nrf2 activation leads to the mitochondria handling stress, better keeping you energized and promoting better recovery from any and all ailments and injuries.
- Detoxification is also another great benefit because it also helps the body in getting rid of unwanted toxins thereby enabling people to become healthier people.
- Cleans the body from within leading to better skin, hair and emotional and mental health.
The best part about this detox is that not only does it lead to a healthier body but also a calmer, more at peace mind which is non-negotiable for overall well-being.
When taken in the right amount, sulforaphane is usually considered safe for the body. However, sometimes it may lead to minor irritability such as stomach upset and occasional weight gain.
However, you should not suddenly spruce up the amount of sulforaphane in your diet by yourself and on a whim. You must definitely consult a professional who would advise you based on the best course for your body.
Sulforaphane is incredibly useful for the human body. It helps in the body’s detox and promotes overall health and wellbeing. You need to consume a diet rich in veggies such as broccoli to ensure you reach the optimum levels needed.
Though there is always scope for more medical research, the existing evidence suggests that there are many benefits of sulforaphane for the body.
The best part about this is that growing broccoli is simple and easy. It is also a great stress buster. Why don’t you switch off from your incredibly busy life, take a break, enjoy nutritious food and go on the path to health and rejuvenation. It is going to be totally worth it!